Java

Java
Driving with Coffee

Monday, June 21, 2010

Just Left the Island

I met L three months ago. Well, as of tomorrow it'll be three months. He's everything I want in a life partner. I can really see him when I look into his eyes. I can see that he loves me when he looks at me. I can feel him. He lives on Nantucket Island. Visiting him means I have to drive an hour to the ferry in Hyannis, then take a ferry for two plus hours. I don't mind the two hours on the ferry. I bring things to do to fill the time. Every time I see him I fall in love with him all over again. He falls in love with me each time he sees me, too.

The kids' last day of school was Friday. It was only a half day of school, which meant that preschool got out by 10:30 and kindergarten and first grade would be out by noon. So instead of the hassle and hustle of the usual school day I thought it would be fun to make a weekend trip to Nantucket. It would be a nice treat for the kids. It would also be nice for L and I to see each other again.

L has a fish pond in his backyard that he just added turtles too. The yard is fenced in. The neighborhood is safe. The yard is fenced in. The kids won't go out of the yard. L and I felt very comfortable leaving them in the backyard to do their thing for little stretches of time while we got in some grown up time. We had a LOT of great kid time. We spent hours at different beaches. We went to some shops. The kids got to pick out silly bands, little trinkets. L got to feel what it feels like to be a dad. My son was the first in all cases to point out to commenting strangers that L is NOT their dad. They have a dad and their dad loves them.

Love. I love L. I love my kids. L loves my kids. It's great for him to get to see what life with kids is really like. I have great kids. I'm thankful for that. If my kids were awful I don't think he'd stick around. All of the discipline I put in is paying off. Distance aside, I think this Nantucket relationship is going to last a long, long, long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment